GENESIS OF CLARKSVILLE -- A FEW
Before Clarksville was put on the map as a geographical entity, the town was given the place on the map of Red River Valley by being variously occupied by white squatters and semi-civilized Indians. From about the year 1818 Henry Stout was found camped at the forks of the Delaware Creek. A tribe of Delaware Indians had also settled here. Ten or eleven years later James Clark came in and started the erection of the town.
This information was all handed down to the writer from Mrs. Isabella Clark Gordon, who was the spirit of advancement of Clarksville for many years. It was through her liberality and enterprise that this place enjoyed its steady growth. She, following in the intent and purpose of her husband, James Clark, after his death financed the construction of the first courthouse, which was a frame building. Gilbert Clark, the brother of James Clark, deceased, being a carpenter, had the construction of the first courthouse. According to a statement of a very prominent citizen of Clarksville,