Of the muskets, 300 were at Houston, 35 at Galveston, and 653 at Post West Bernard. The latter were described as out of order, although they were included in the number listed as "complete." Two pieces of artillery were at Houston, one at Bastrop, and one near Live Oak Point, and several at Galveston. It had been hoped that considerable arms and munitions could have been acquired from the United States government at New Orleans upon the arrival there of the volunteers who had fought the Seminoles in Florida, but the arms had been sent to Baton Rouge and to Natchez where they could not be procured for cash. At this time the Republic had only one hospital for the care of its sick and wounded soldiers, and this was the General Military Hospital at Houston. Such a military establishment was certainly not an imposing one.
129. Ibid.; The "two pieces of hollow ware" styled the "twin sisters of San Jacinto" were brought to the armory at Houston on August 13, 1838, and were reported to be in "excellent condition." Telegraph and Texas Register, Aug. 18, 1838.
130. Ashbel Smith to George W. Hockley, Surgeon General's Office, Oct. 27, 1838, in Houston, Documents from the Heads of Departments, pp. 22-24.