BOUNTY AND DONATION LAND GRANTS OF TEXAS 1835-1888
Thomas Lloyd Miller
University of Texas Press, Austin, 1967
Note: The records from Miller's book are not online due to
copyright restrictions. Much of the land grant
information, however, is now
online in the Land Grant Database of the Texas General Land
Office (see Research Help page).
For most of the men, Miller's book has additional information
about the military service on which the grant was based.
The heirs of Jacob Aaron received Bty Wnt 472 for 1280 acres from
AG on 25 Oct 1848 for service from 14 Feb 1837 to 20 June 1838.
960 acres in Parker Cty were ptd to the heirs 2 Feb 1858. Pat 27
Vol 9 Abst 15 GLO File Rob Bty 739.
Upon UB Wnt 295 6/313, 320 acres in Stephens Cty were ptd to the
heirs on 1 Sept 1860. Pat 267 Vol 12 Abst 5 GLO File Mil Bty 1296.
NOTES (Page references are from the
above Miller 1967).
- "Bounties" were promised in advance of the service and
"Donations" were rewards after the service.
- A soldier in multiple campaigns (e.g., Bexar, Goliad) could
receive multiple bounties, but only one donation.
- If a soldier was in a campaign, but absent due to illness
or duty, then he would receive a bounty, but not a donation (p. 798).
- Repeated names may not be for the same person.
- Most of the records show period of military service and often
battle or commander.
- The counties where the soldier or his heirs patented land may
have further records of the family.
- The records are arranged alphabetically in the book so that
page number references are not necessary.
- There are two sections of records in the book: Bounty Land
Grants and Donation Land Grants. A request to a librarian for
photocopies from the book should include a reminder to search both
- Codes and abbreviations used are found on pp. 59-60.
- An extensive discussion of Miller's study and of the records of
the Texas General Land Office ("GLO") are found on pp. 3-56.
- A glossary is found on pp. 885-889.
- In the Bounty section of this Index, "see Don also" means Miller found
evidence a Donation in the same name was the same man.
- In the Donation section of this Index, "see Bty also" means Miller found
evidence a Bounty in the same name was the same man.