The Peters Colony of Texas
The Texas State Historical Association is pleased to partner with the Collin County Historical Society to make Seymour V. Connor's The Peters Colony of Texas available once again. This classic work of Texas history, long out of print, was praised by John H. Jenkins in Basic Texas Books as "the best study of one of the largest land grants in Texas history."
The TSHA first published The Peters Colony of Texas in 1959. The Peters Colony, totalling 16,000 square miles of North Texas, now includes twenty-six counties. Jenkins called it "a masterpiece of weaving together the threads of an extremely difficult historical puzzle with only the meagerest of source materials."
For many years the book, with its documentation of early migration to Texas, has been available to the public only in noncirculating library collections and an occasional appearance on the rare book market.
The TSHA and the Collin County Historical Society are pleased to offer a paperback edition of The Peters Colony of Texas to bring this significant work of Texas history back to public attention.
Publication of this book is supported by the Collin County Historical Society, McKinney.