- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
GALVAN BALLROOM. The Galvan Ballroom, located at 1632 Agnes Street in Corpus Christi, played an important role in the musical and cultural development of the city in the 1950s. The establishment was owned by Corpus Christi police officer, entrepreneur, and musician Rafael Galvan, Sr., who sought to open a permanent venue for the Galvan Orchestra. The fifteen-piece ensemble, the largest orchestra in Corpus Christi at that time, organized and began performing in January 1947 and featured Galvan and his four sons: Ralph, Eddie, Sammy, and Bobby.
Galvan obtained financing of $150,000, and, with the designs of architect E. E. Hammond, O. J. Beck and Sons began construction on the ballroom in August 1949. In 1950 the builders had completed the elegant venue—fashioned in the Streamline Moderne style. The Galvan Ballroom opened on March 2, 1950, and featured the Galvan Orchestra. The club’s grand opening on March 30, 1950, treated patrons with a performance by Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra. Gene Krupa played there later in the spring.
The Galvan established its reputation as the place to go for high-quality big band, swing, and jazz music. Its large size made it available for national acts, and the big dance floor catered to hosting a variety of dances and other events. Men and couples paid a small admission fee, while women got free entrance. Rows of tables and chairs lined one side of the wall, and chairs lined the opposite wall. A custom-made revolving chandelier with four spotlights served as a magnificent centerpiece over the dance floor.
The Galvans rented the ballroom on Saturday nights, and the venue hosted functions for various private clubs as well as community events such as student dances, church organizations, and an annual policeman’s ball. On Sundays the ballroom opened to the public for dancing and a host of musical performances that featured many of the big bands of the day. Duke Ellington played there, for example, as well as Count Basie. Though jazz and swing music was the predominant music at the ballroom, the place also hosted some Latin bands and bands from Mexico. The Galvan Orchestra played primarily popular American songs, and, in addition to members of the Galvan family, boasted an impressive lineup of musicians who were later instrumental in the development of Corpus Christi’s Texas Jazz Festival. Acclaimed guitarist Chester “Chet” Rupe, for example, went on to teach at Del Mar College and also gave private guitar instruction.
The Galvan Ballroom also played a significant role in the social and cultural development of Corpus Christi in that it allowed, through music, for the integration of the Hispanic and Anglo-American communities (along with the performance of African-American musical groups) during a time of segregation. According to Galvan Ballroom historian David Louzon, “The Galvan Ballroom was unique because it was owned and operated by Mexican Americans, yet show-cased African American musicians and music to mixed Anglo and Mexican American audiences.”
Throughout the decades, the Galvan Ballroom has continued to be a musical landmark in Corpus Christi. Galvan Music Company, established in 1960, is located on the first floor of the building, and, as of 2016, was operated by Bobby Galvan. The ballroom hosts weddings, quinceañeras, and other events. Members of the Galvan Orchestra also went on to establish other musical ensembles and contributed to the further development of Corpus Christi’s musical culture through the founding of its Texas Jazz Festival. Eddie Galvan organized his own Eddie Galvan Orchestra which performed for more than four decades. He also served as a master band director for the Corpus Christi Independent School District and garnered awards in that city and other South Texas cities. In 2008 he was inducted into the South Texas Region XIV Band Directors Hall of Fame. He died on February 15, 2011.
For their contributions to the musical legacy of the Coastal Bend through the Galvan Ballroom and the Galvan Music Company, brothers Ralph, Eddie, Sammy, and Bobby Galvan were honored in the South Texas Music Walk of Fame. Galvan Orchestra jazz guitarist Chet Rupe, who died in 2001, was also inducted into the South Texas Music Walk of Fame. In 2015 the Galvan Ballroom was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated as a Texas Hispanic Heritage site.
Association of Texas Small School Bands: Eddie Galvan (http://www.atssb.org/execsec/Galvan.htm), accessed July 5, 2011. Corpus Christi Caller–Times, February 16, 1998. David Louzon, “Corpus Christi’s Galvan Ballroom: Music and Multiculturalism in the 1950s,” Journal of South Texas 20 (Spring 2007). Anayeli Ruiz, “Galvan Ballroom garners national recognition,” KRISTV.COM (http://www.kristv.com/story/29549169/galvan-ballroom-garners-national-recognition), accessed November 1, 2015. “South Texas Music Walk of Fame,” Texas Music Office (http://governor.state.tx.us/music/tour/south-texas-music-walk-of-fame), accessed November 1, 2015.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Laurie E. Jasinski, "GALVAN BALLROOM," accessed January 19, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/xdg04.
Uploaded on June 30, 2014. Modified on November 25, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.