TEXAS PHILATELIC ASSOCIATION
TEXAS PHILATELIC ASSOCIATION. The idea for an organization of Texas philatelists, or stamp collectors, was first presented in 1896. The TPA Committee on Organization, which included Edward W. Heusinger, Joseph A. Mueller, and Julius Jermy, met with the Metropolitan Philatelic Club of San Antonio on November 13, 1896. They voted for Frederic Noyes as president and H. G. Askew and T. W. Robinson as vice presidents. The first annual convention was to be held April 21, 1897, in San Antonio. The first TPA publication was the Official Bulletin (1896). The TPA has had a host of other official publications, including the Lone Star State Philatelist, the Collector's Gazette, the Philatelic Gossip, Stamp-Itis, and the Texas Philatelist, its current publication.
The main purposes of the TPA are to encourage the collecting of postage stamps and the study of postal history, to accumulate and disseminate philatelic materials, and to provide grants to philatelic students and authors. Outstanding members of TPA are honored as Distinguished Philatelic Texans. Another honor presented to TPA members is the Leon C. Forcheimer literature award, which honors individuals who write on philatelic topics. The TPA became a lifetime chapter member of the American Philatelic Society in 1966. The Texas Philatelic Association Foundation, an affiliate of the TPA, was established in 1975 to encourage philatelic study and research.
The TPA annual exhibitions and conventions, known as TEXPEX, traditionally are held in June. In 1983 the TPA board of directors voted to qualify the association's annual exhibition as a participant in the American Philatelic Society's World Series of Philately, an exhibition of the award-winning exhibits from national stamp shows of the preceding year, held at the APS's annual convention. The TPA held its first World Series of Philately stamp show in 1988, hosted by the Seagull Stamp Club of Corpus Christi. In 1993 the TPA had 428 members. Larry D. Sall was president, and Jane King Fohn was archivist and editor of the Texas Philatelist.
R. H. Stever, "The TPA Foundation," Texas Philatelist 40 (March-April 1992). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jane King Fohn, "TEXAS PHILATELIC ASSOCIATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vwt04), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.