WEST TEXAS HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC SOCIETY
WEST TEXAS HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC SOCIETY. The West Texas Historical and Scientific Society was organized at Alpine on December 7, 1925, under the name of the Trans-Pecos Museum and Historical Society. At a second meeting, January 11, 1926, additional charter members were added to the original twenty-five, permanent officers were selected, and a constitution was adopted using the new name. The charter from the state of Texas was issued on April 28, 1926. The organization was governed by a board of directors of seven members elected at the annual meeting. The board chose the president, vice president, corresponding secretary, secretary treasurer, custodian of the museum, and directors of research. The society directed the research of its members in history, folklore, and various fields of science. From time to time the results of the research were published in the Bulletin of the society. Between 1926 and 1946, eleven Bulletins were published; one, The Association of Archaeological Materials with Geological Deposits in the Big Bend Region of Texas (1940), was compiled by the society with the cooperation of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University and the Works Progress Administration. The first president of the West Texas Historical and Scientific Society was H. T. Fletcher, who was elected by the board of directors at a meeting held on February 26, 1926. The society's first publication Sul Ross State Teachers College Bulletin, was published on December 1, 1926, at Alpine, Texas. Most of the society's publications have included a variety of materials dealing with historical, scientific, and related topics. Beginning with number eight this policy was altered to include only one theme. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Commission of Control provided money for a permanent museum at Alpine. The museum (now called Museum of the Big Bend) was located on the campus of Sul Ross State Teachers College. The last publication of the society was the Sul Ross State College Bulletin, dated September 1, 1964. Clifford B. Casey was president in 1966. About 1967 the college took over the museum from the society, and for several years the organization held few meetings. On March 26, 1972, Joe S. Graham was elected president of the society, and in February 1973 a symposium on the Big Bend was held in Alpine; plans for publication of the papers read at that meeting were in progress in early 1975. Although the West Texas Historical and Scientific Society was no longer associated with Sul Ross State University, the planned publication was to be published by the Sul Ross Press, with funds provided by the society. There were plans to publish under a new name (not as the Sul Ross Bulletin) and a new format. Graham continued as president of the society until the summer of 1973 when Hallie Stilwell was elected president; she was still president in 1975. No information was available on the society in the 1980s and 1990s.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Clifford B. Casey, Louise B. McCrabb, and Joe S. Graham, "WEST TEXAS HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC SOCIETY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vtw01), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.