PERMIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
PERMIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY. The Permian Historical Society was chartered by the state of Texas on May 7, 1959, as a nonprofit educational organization, to collect, preserve, and publish the history of the Permian Basin area, in particular Andrews, Crane, Ector, Loving, Ward, and Winkler counties. It was later expanded to include Midland, Howard, Martin, and other counties in West Texas and southeastern New Mexico. Executive officers, who serve two-year terms, conduct the society's business between its biannual meetings. They are supervised by a board of directors.
The society awards graduate scholarships in regional and business history and offers an annual award for the best historical article published in the Permian Historical Annual. It sponsors field trips to historical sites and helps develop archives at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin. The Permian Historical Annual has been published since 1961; it contains historical articles and reports of the society's activities for the year. The official newsletter is the Scroll. In 1987 the organization had more than 300 members.
Bobbie Jean Klepper, "The Permian Historical Society," Permian Historical Annual 24 (1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nanette Presley, "PERMIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vtp03), accessed July 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.