HUGUENOT SOCIETY OF TEXAS
HUGUENOT SOCIETY OF TEXAS. The Huguenot Society of Texas was organized on April 2, 1954, by Mrs. Earl Middleton of Austin as a unit of the National Huguenot Society. There were originally three chapters in Texas-Fleur de Lis (Austin area), St. Bartholomew (Houston area), and Navarre (Fort Worth area)-which held meetings several times during the year and participated in the annual assembly of the state society. The society's five current chapters include, in addition to the original three, La Rochelle (Dallas area) and Languedoc (San Antonio area). Each chapter has officers corresponding to those of the state and national societies. Membership is by invitation, and lineal descent must be established in the male or female line of either (1) a Huguenot who had immigrated from France to America or who had found refuge in some other country before the promulgation of the Edict of Toleration on November 28, 1787, or (2) a Huguenot who, in spite of religious persecution, remained in France. Objectives of the society are to perpetuate the memory of the Huguenots, to collect and preserve documents, and to publish information on the Huguenots. Several resulting publications have been contributed to libraries.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Edward N. McAllister, "HUGUENOT SOCIETY OF TEXAS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vsh01), accessed April 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.