DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN COLONISTS
DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN COLONISTS. The Texas Society of the Daughters of the American Colonists, was organized in Washington, D.C., on March 30, 1930. Membership in June 1991 totaled 870 in twenty-one chapters located in various Texas cities. The National Society was organized in Washington, D.C., in April 1921 and in 1991 had over 10,000 members in fifty states and the District of Columbia. According to its bylaws, "The object of this society shall be patriotic, historical and educational; to make research as to the history and deeds of the American colonists and to record and publish the same; to commemorate deeds of colonial interest; to inculcate and foster love of America and its institutions by all its residents; to obey its laws and venerate its flag-the emblem of its power and civic righteousness." The Texas Society researches historical sites in Texas to be considered for markers. Its efforts have included Fort Bliss, Fort Crockett, and Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches Mission.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.