NUESTRA SENORA DEL PILAR DE LOS ADAES PRESIDIO
NUESTRA SEÑORA DEL PILAR DE LOS ADAES PRESIDIO. Nuestra Señora del Pilar de los Adaes Presidio was founded in 1721 by the Marqués de Aguayo as a frontier outpost to check French expansion in East Texas. It was located a quarter league from the mission of San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes, near the site of present Robeline, Louisiana. The presidio was built in the form of a hexagon with three bastions, each of which joined two curtains fifty varas long. Six cannons that the Marqués de Aguayo had brought from Coahuila were left in the presidio, which had an initial complement 100 men. The fort was abandoned in 1773, when the East Texas mission field was ordered abandoned after Spain acquired Louisiana.
Eleanor Claire Buckley, "The Aguayo Expedition in Texas and Louisiana, 1719–1722," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 15 (July 1911). Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936–58; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976). Charles W. Hackett, "The Marquis of San Miguel de Aguayo and His Recovery of Texas from the French, 1719–1723," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 49 (October 1945).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."NUESTRA SENORA DEL PILAR DE LOS ADAES PRESIDIO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/uqn17), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles