FORT RAMÍREZ. Fort Ramírez was a fortified ranchhouse built by the Ramírez family on the west bank of the Nueces River in southern Live Oak County. The building was never a fort, but it was the first permanent structure in Live Oak County. The Ramirez family left the area in 1813. Local legends of buried treasure nearby resulted in destruction of the house.
J. Frank Dobie, Coronado's Children: Tales of Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the Southwest (New York: Garden City, 1930). J. Frank Dobie, Some Part of Myself (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967). Ray Miller, Ray Miller's Texas Forts (Houston: Cordovan, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "FORT RAMIREZ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/uef15), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.