FORT MILAM. The first Fort Milam, on the west bank of the Brazos River in central Falls County, was built in 1834 and called Fort Viesca. In December 1835 it was renamed in honor of Benjamin R. Milam, who had died at the siege of Bexar earlier that month. The fort was built for the protection of the settlers of the Robertson's colony community of Sarahville de Viesca at the falls of the Brazos. It was abandoned during the Runaway Scrape in March 1836. As settlers began to return to the area in the spring, however, Col. Edward Burleson organized three ranger companies to garrison the fort and provide protection to that exposed region. Burleson's volunteers were replaced on the Brazos frontier in the fall by Col. Robert M. Coleman's rangers, and Capt. Thomas H. Barron's company of Coleman's battalion took up garrison duty at Fort Milam on October 1. Barron was relieved by Capt. Daniel Monroe in January 1837. From Fort Milam detachments were sent to construct Little River Fort in 1836 and forts Fisher and Hendersonqv in 1837. Ranger enlistments began to expire during the late summer of 1837; the Fort Milam garrison, once again under Barron's command, began to evaporate, and the fort soon stood vacant. Its site is now marked only by a stone monument four miles southwest of Marlin.
George B. Erath, "The Memoirs of George B. Erath, 1813–1891," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 26–27 (January-October 1923; rpts., Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1923; Waco: Heritage Society of Waco, 1956). Charles Adams Gulick, Jr., Harriet Smither, et al., eds., The Papers of Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar, Vols. 2 and 4. Adele B. Looscan, "Capt. Joseph Daniels," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 5 (July 1901). Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969). Lillian S. St. Romain, Western Falls County, Texas (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1951). George Tyler, History of Bell County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas W. Cutrer, "FORT MILAM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/uef11), accessed February 07, 2016. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles