- Get Involved
METHODIST HOSPITAL OF HOUSTON
METHODIST HOSPITAL OF HOUSTON. Methodist Hospital, an internationally known referral hospital, opened in 1924. It developed from a thirty-bed private hospital founded in 1908 by Dr. Oscar L. Norsworthy. Among its early trustees were William L. Clayton, Jesse H. Jones, and Walter W. Fondren. A long-term benefactor was Ella Cochrum (Mrs. Walter W.) Fondren, who became a trustee after her husband's death and who for many decades was the only woman on the board. Methodist struggled to survive during its early years. It remained open during the Great Depression only through the management of its administrator, Josie Mooring Roberts. It took a new direction after World War II due to the actions of two Houston philanthropists, Monroe D. Anderson and Hugh Roy Cullen. Anderson left a bequest of $22 million that led to the development of the Texas Medical Center at Houston. Cullen, a legendary oilman, and his wife Lillie gave $1 million to Methodist Hospital, a gift that enabled it to move to the center. The new 300-bed facility opened in 1951.
Methodist became a teaching hospital for Baylor University College of Medicine, which had also moved to the Texas Medical Center. Because of Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, the Baylor affiliation transformed Methodist from a good hospital into a great one. DeBakey, who joined Baylor in 1948, pioneered cardiovascular procedures that brought him wide acclaim. Patients from all over the world, including the duke of Windsor, came to him for treatment and taxed the facilities of the hospital during the 1950s and 1960s. To accommodate these patients and the growing population of Houston, Methodist enlarged to 1,040 beds by 1971 under the administration of Ted Bowen. The growth continued under the administration of Larry Mathis, who succeeded Bowen in 1983. By 1990 the Methodist Hospital complex included more than 1,500 beds, outpatient facilities, office buildings, parking garages, and a hotel. By various agreements, Methodist also included a number of hospitals in other locations that utilized its specialists and high technology. While maintaining its position as a cardiovascular center, Methodist, in cooperation with Baylor, also pioneered in organ transplants, neurological disorders of children, and other areas of research and development. Chairmen of the board of directors have been John T. Scott, Raymond P. Elledge, Walter L. Goldston, Robert A. Shepherd, Sr., O'Banion Williams, Curtis B. Delhomme, and A. Frank Smith, Jr.
Marilyn McAdams Sibley, The Methodist Hospital of Houston: Serving the World (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1989).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Marilyn M. Sibley, "METHODIST HOSPITAL OF HOUSTON," accessed March 22, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/sbm08.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on May 25, 2017. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.