TEXAS LEAGUE FOR NURSING
TEXAS LEAGUE FOR NURSING. The Texas League for Nursing, a branch of the National League for Nursing, came into being when representatives of organizations nationwide met in New Jersey in June 1952 to reorganize at state and local levels. On April 22, 1953, the Texas League for Nursing Education and the Texas Organization of Public Health Nursing combined to form the new league, and the first annual meeting was held in Austin on November 27 of that year. The organization was chartered by the Texas secretary of state on September 19, 1955, to "foster the development and improvement of hospital, industrial, public health and other organized nursing services and of nursing education." Nell Hinson of Dallas, president of the organization, initially headed the five officers and four-member board of directors responsible for carrying out the business of the organization. Edith Ayers, who became the first full-time employee of the league in 1958, served as executive secretary for more than twenty-five years. Offices, located first in home of John Bremond, in the Bremond Block Historic District, Austin, and above the Greyhound Bus Station, were leased from the Texas Hospital Association after 1964. Membership was extended to professional and vocational nurses and non-nurse members, and later expanded to include new graduates and retirees. In 1953 a new provision led to the establishment of twenty local leagues in major Texas cities and regions. These were later replaced by groups organized by area of medical specialization. In 1968 a restructuring of the national organization brought simplification by altering departments and divisions, dissolving local leagues, and replacing steering committees with increased involvement by the state board of directors. A 1957 survey of nursing needs and state resources produced in 1960 a federal grant of $250,000 that enabled the league to conduct management-skills workshops for a six-year period. The program began with 1,503 nurses in supervisory and head-nurse positions at Texas hospitals and public-health agencies and then initiated other continuing education programs. With the Texas Nurses Association and the Texas Medical Association Auxiliary, the league cosponsored the Future Nurse Clubs of Texas (later the Texas Association of Careers for Health) and supported legislation affecting the profession. In 1993 the board of directors comprised eight officers and four directors, and membership was granted on an individual basis. In 1993 membership was 550.
Files, Texas League for Nursing, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Edith C. Ayers, "TEXAS LEAGUE FOR NURSING," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/sat01), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.