WHITNEY DAM AND RESERVOIR
WHITNEY DAM AND RESERVOIR. Whitney Dam and Reservoir is in the Brazos River Basin two miles from Whitney on the western edge of Hill County on the Bosque county line (centered at 31°52' N, 97°22' W). Construction began on May 12, 1947, as part of the Brazos River Conservation and Reclamation program, and was completed in April 1951. The reservoir, which supplies water for municipal purposes, irrigation, and power production, is owned by the United States Government and operated by the United States Corps of Engineers, Fort Worth District. It has a capacity of 379,100 acre-feet and a surface area of 23,500 acres. Storage capacity for flood control is 1,620,400 acre-feet between elevations of 520 and 571 feet above mean sea level. The drainage area above the dam is 26,170 square miles. The power plant has two 15,000 kilowatt generating units. The energy produced by the units is sold to the Brazos Electric Power Cooperative for distribution in the area. Lake Whitney State Recreation Area is on the southern edge of the lake on Farm Road 1244, four miles southwest of Whitney.
Carlton Bailes and Danny L. Hudson, A Guide to Texas Lakes, Including the Brazos, Colorado, Frio and Guadalupe Rivers (Houston: Pacesetter Press, 1982). C. L. Dowell, Dams and Reservoirs in Texas: History and Descriptive Information (Texas Water Commission Bulletin 6408 [Austin, 1964]). Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Seth D. Breeding, "WHITNEY DAM AND RESERVOIR," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ruw01), accessed May 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.