ROBBINS'S FERRY. Robbins's Ferry, on the Old San Antonio Road at the Thomas's Ford crossing of the Trinity River in western Houston County, was established in 1821 by Joel Leakey. It was named for ferryman and owner Nathaniel Robbins and acquired in 1847 by his son-in-law Elisha Clapp, who operated the ferry until his death in 1856. Under Clapp's direction the ferry's name was changed to Clapp's Ferry. His descendants operated the ferry until 1930, when Clapp's Ferry Bridge was built. The Texas Centennial Commission recognized the site and Clapp in 1936 with an official granite gravestone.
Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ROBBINS'S FERRY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rtr01), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.