NUECES BAY. Nueces Bay (centered at 27°51' N, 97°26' W) is the western extension of Corpus Christi Bay at the mouth of the Nueces River in northern Nueces County just north of Corpus Christi on the San Patricio county line. It is an estuarine bay, providing a suitable environment for the propagation of fish and shellfish, which have a major impact on the economy of the Texas coast. In the early 1970s sportfishing alone, in and around Nueces Bay, provided an average of $17 million annually, while commercial fishing added another $27.3 million. On an 1835 map of Texas the bay was called Papelote Bay. From 1838 to 1840 ships put in to Nueces Bay to supply the Federalist army. Oil and gas have been produced in the bay since 1912. In the 1980s the Nueces Bay Causeway spanned the bay, connecting Corpus Christi and Portland.
Nueces County Historical Society, History of Nueces County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "NUECES BAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rrn01), accessed June 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.