ALAZAN BAY. The center of Alazan Bay, a small bay opening onto Baffin Bay, is at 27°20' north latitude and 97°31' west longitude. The whole bay, at the mouth of Petronila Creek in the southeast corner of Kleberg County, is surrounded by the Laureles Division of the King Ranch. It takes its name from El Alazán, the Spanish grant of Vicente de Ynojosa, which borders the bay on the northwest. The Spanish name means "sorrel-colored" and may have referred to wild horses, cattle, or the soil.
Tom Lea, The King Ranch (2 vols., Boston: Little, Brown, 1957).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ALAZAN BAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rra01), accessed March 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.