DELAWARE SPRINGS. Delaware Springs is a group of mineral springs located twenty miles east of the community of Pine Springs in northeastern Culberson County (at 31°52' N, 104°29' W). The surrounding terrain is mainly flat, with some locally steep slopes. Creosote bush, cacti, and sparse grasses grow in the shallow, stony soil of the area. These springs were of great importance to early travelers and were variously known as Head Springs, Five Springs, Ojo de San Martín, and La Cienega (the swamp). Capt. Francisco Amangual camped at the springs in 1808. Some of the springs are highly mineralized, and others are relatively fresh. In 1976 the springs produced sixteen liters per second.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Gunnar Brune, "DELAWARE SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpd01), accessed March 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.