MURVAUL LAKE. Murvaul Lake is ten miles southwest of Carthage on Murvaul Creek in the Sabine River basin in Panola County (at 32°02' N, 94°25' W). The project is owned and operated by the Panola County Fresh Water Supply District Number One, with offices in Carthage. Construction of the reservoir began on September 26, 1956, and was completed on June 1, 1958. The lake has a capacity of 45,840 acre-feet and a surface area of 3,820 acres at the spillway crest elevation of 265.3 feet above mean sea level. Water is used for municipal, industrial, and recreational purposes. The drainage area above the dam is 115 square miles. The local terrain is flat and surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses.
C. L. Dowell, Dams and Reservoirs in Texas: History and Descriptive Information (Texas Water Commission Bulletin 6408 [Austin, 1964]).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Seth D. Breeding, "MURVAUL LAKE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rom19), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.