LAKE MINERAL WELLS
LAKE MINERAL WELLS. Lake Mineral Wells is on Rock Creek in the Brazos River basin three miles east of Mineral Wells in far western Parker County (at 32°49' N, 98°02' W). The project is owned and operated by the city of Mineral Wells. The original earthfill dam for the lake was begun in 1918 and completed in September 1920. In 1943–44 storage capacity was increased by raising the height of the spillway two feet. Designed for flood control, conservation storage, and recreational use, Lake Mineral Wells has a storage capacity of 8,420 acre-feet. The crest of the spillway is 863 feet above mean sea level. The lake covers a surface area of 646 acres, and the drainage area above the dam is sixty-three square miles. The lake supplies water to the city of Mineral Wells.
C. L. Dowell, Dams and Reservoirs in Texas: History and Descriptive Information (Texas Water Commission Bulletin 6408 [Austin, 1964]). Reservoirs in the United States (Geological Survey Water Supply Paper 1838 [Washington: GPO, 1966]).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKE MINERAL WELLS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol57), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.