BELLWOOD LAKE. Bellwood Lake is just west of Tyler in central Smith County (at 32°20' N, 95°22' W). It lies north of Greenbriar Lake and is bordered by Tyler Loop 323 on the east and State Highway Spur 164 on the west. The lake was named for the surrounding community, Bellwood. The dam was constructed across Indian Creek to form Bellwood Lake before 1936 and served as a source of water for Tyler. The city later bought the facility from the Cain interests. Maps for 1936 showed a small community, a gauging or pumping station, and a small park on the eastern shores. In 1966 recreational facilities included a golf course and a picnic area. The Briarwood Country Club had been completed, and a water tank had also been set up on the eastern shore. By 1981 the Bellwood Country Club had been added. The crest of the spillway is 426 feet above mean sea level, and the lake has a capacity of 1,391 acre-feet. It is popular for fishing and boating.
John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas, a Comprehensive Look at Texas Today, County by County (Dallas: Clements Research, 1984). "Pictures from Our Past," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1968.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BELLWOOD LAKE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rob06), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.