- Get Involved
MCLENNAN'S BLUFF. McLennan's Bluff, a steep bank on the northwest shore of Rosebud Lake a mile west of Rosebud near Pond Creek in southwest Falls County (at 31°04' N, 97°00' W), is on land of the original league granted to Neil McLennan by Coahuila and Texas on July 28, 1835. The bluff, on which McLennan's home was located, is 400 feet above the surface of the lake. In 1835 three McLennan brothers, who had immigrated from Scotland to North Carolina and later resided in Florida, brought their families to Texas to join Sterling Clack Robertson's colony, sailing up the Brazos River from its mouth and eventually stopping at Sugar Loaf on Pond Creek, later called McLennan's Bluff. After receiving grants on Pond Creek and building houses on the bluff that also overlooked rolling prairie land, the families were threatened by Indians, who had posed few problems for settlers in the area during the early 1830s, but who were beginning to increase their attacks on white settlers. In the spring of 1836 Indians raided the Laughlin McLennan household, killing Laughlin, his wife, and his crippled mother, whose head they split with an ax before casting her body into the house and setting everything on fire. Three children were taken into captivity, during which two of them died; the third one, a seven-year-old boy, was adopted by the Indians and the boy rejoined his relatives in 1846. In the spring of 1837 the Indians attacked Neil McLennan, his son John, and his young slave. Neil and his son escaped, but the slave was taken prisoner; however, through the mediation of friendly Indians and by his own efforts, he was released and returned to his master. After living at the site for ten years, the McLennans abandoned their home, and Neil McLennan eventually exchanged his land on Pond Creek for claims on the Bosque River near Waco.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Malcolm D. McLean, comp. and ed., Papers Concerning Robertson's Colony in Texas (13 vols., Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1974–76; Arlington: University of Texas at Arlington Press, 1977–87). A Memorial and Biographical History of McLennan, Falls, Bell, and Coryell Counties (Chicago: Lewis, 1893; rpt., St. Louis: Ingmire, 1984). Lillian S. St. Romain, Western Falls County, Texas (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1951).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Evelyn Clark Longwell, "McLennan's Bluff," accessed May 22, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rjm51.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.