HELLERS HILL. Hellers Hill, named for the families of early settlers Tom and Louis Heller, is two miles south-southeast of the Waldeck church in north central Fayette County (at 30°02' N, 96°47' W). Its summit, with an elevation of 555 feet above sea level, projects about fifty feet above Farm Road 1291, a mile to the northeast. It stands in gently rolling terrain with soils characterized by a shallow, easily erodible sandy loam surface layer over a very firm clay subsoil containing volcanic materials. Though the local land is of marginal value for agriculture, much of it was once used for cotton production. After the 1950s most of the cotton land reverted to cattle pasture. Vegetation in the area is primarily scattered clumps of oak and cedar. The crest of Hellers Hill is occupied by several farm buildings.
Leonie Rummel Weyand and Houston Wade, An Early History of Fayette County (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HELLERS HILL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rjh34), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.