SANTA MARGARITA CROSSING
SANTA MARGARITA CROSSING. Santa Margarita Crossing, a natural ford across the Nueces River, was a point of convergence for many roads leading northward from Matamoros, Reynosa, Camargo, Mier, Revilla, and Laredo to La Bahía and San Antonio. The crossing, one of the immutable landmarks of the coastal bend area, had been used since earliest times by buffalo, Indians, explorers, soldiers, freighters, stages, and travelers. Early maps show the Old San Antonio Road crossing the Nueces River at San Patricio at a point called Paso de Santa Margarita. James McGloin and John McMullenqv settled their colony on the left bank of the river in the early 1830s. Practically all of the overland traffic coming out of Mexico on the way to East Texas crossed the Nueces at the Santa Margarita Crossing. From San Patricio the Old San Antonio Road went directly to La Bahía, or Goliad, and then on to Nacogdoches and Louisiana. From 1830 to about 1886 the crossing was the southern terminus of the San Patricio Trail.
Actually there were three or possibly four crossings within a couple of miles of Paso de Santa Margarita. Upriver about three miles was the old Indian and Mexican fort known as Fort Lipantitlán, where the crossing is called DeLeon's crossing or Rock Crossing. Between the Lipantitlán and Santa Margarita crossings were two other spots that old traditions say were used as fords, especially during a season when the river was low. Both of these crossings were known as rock crossings since the riverbottom at these spots bears an abundance of flint, which the Indians used for making arrow points. Oral tradition tells that in the dry season travelers would avoid the ferry at Santa Margarita and go upstream to one of the shallow rock crossings and cross without having to pay a fee. Present day digs at Round Lake date an Indian presence in the area as far back as about A.D. 1400. It is not known exactly when the first ferry was put into operation at Santa Margarita, but oral tradition places its origin sometime in the early 1860s. Samuel L. Miller received permission in 1866 from Nueces County and in 1871 from the San Patricio county commissioners court to operate a ferry at the crossing. A ferry existed at Santa Margarita until it was replaced by a bridge in 1898. During the Civil War a leg of the Cotton Road came through San Patricio, where a point of consignment with Mexican teamsters was established. A bridge still exists at the site of the old ferry, but the road carries mostly local traffic over farm roads rather then international trade or invasion armies.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Keith Guthrie, "Santa Margarita Crossing," accessed May 24, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ris02.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles