LITTLE ROBBINS SLOUGH
LITTLE ROBBINS SLOUGH. Little Robbins Slough, an intermittent stream, rises near the South Texas Project (formerly the South Texas Nuclear Project) nine miles northwest of Matagorda in southwestern Matagorda County (at 28°47' N, 96°04' W) and runs south for 6½ miles to its mouth (at 28°42' N, 96°03' W) on Robbins Slough, a brackish marsh supporting diverse plant and animal species including waterfowl and numerous grasses, which meanders four more miles to the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. The local terrain is flat to rolling prairie, surfaced by dark calcareous clay that supports hardwoods and grasses. The sloughs are probably named for Frederick Wells Robbins, who with his father settled on his land grant in the vicinity by around 1846.
Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LITTLE ROBBINS SLOUGH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rhl08), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.