DOLAN FALLS. Dolan Falls is on the Devils River near its juncture with Dolan Creek in east central Val Verde County (at 29°53' N, 101°00' W). The falls are fed by a series of springs, mainly Dolan and Finegan. When the springs have strong flows, the falls are active. In droughts the falls fail. The surrounding flat terrain consists of massive limestone surfaced by dark, calcareous, stony clays and clay loams support water-tolerant conifers and oaks, junipers, grasses, and mesquites. The falls and Dolan Creek were named for Capt. Pat Dolan of the Texas Rangersqv. In 1873 an Indian fight occurred near the falls. The area around the falls and the springs was used by prehistoric people who left pictographs, mortar holes, middens, stone projectile points, and tools. Early travelers and explorers reported abundant grasses growing along the Devils River, but now overgrazing has destroyed the natural layer of organic mulch that covered the soils in the recharge areas. The bare ground allows rainwater to run off, rather than to recharge the springs. Decreased flow from the springs directly affects the activity of Dolan Falls.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DOLAN FALLS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rfd01), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.