WILLIAMS BRANCH. Williams Branch rises in a tank a mile northwest of Walhalla in north central Fayette County (at 30°02' N, 96°46' W) and runs east for four miles to its mouth on Shaw Creek, two miles southwest of Round Top (at 30°03' N, 96°44' W). It crosses firm clay layers that are well drained and often have a shallow, highly erodible sandy loam top layer. These soils range from fair to good for agriculture and once produced good crops of cotton and corn. Since the 1950s, however, the land has been used primarily for improved pasture for cattle and horses. The stream's name is probably derived from that of one of the four men named Williams who received original grants of land in Fayette County.
Leonie Rummel Weyand and Houston Wade, An Early History of Fayette County (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WILLIAMS BRANCH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbwcy), accessed April 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.