WOLF CREEK. Wolf Creek rises at the junction of its main and south forks in central Ochiltree County (at 36°18' N, 100°56' W) and flows east seventy miles across Lipscomb County, Texas, and central Ellis and northwestern Woodward counties, Oklahoma, to its mouth on the Canadian River (at 36°35' N, 99°30' W). The surrounding terrain is typically flat with local escarpments. Brush and grasses grow in the mostly deep, fine sandy loam along its banks. Evidences of pre-Columbian Indian habitation on Wolf Creek were discovered with the excavations of the "Buried City" in Ochiltree County. The Coronado expedition is thought to have come by the stream on its way to Quivira in 1541, and Juan de Oñate's expedition reportedly camped there in 1601. Hide hunters from Dodge City frequented the stream during the height of the great buffalo slaughter of the 1870s. Some of the Panhandle's first Anglo pioneers, including Charles Dietrich, Ed Jones, Joseph Plummer, Dee Eubanks, Tom Connell, and the Barton brothers, settled along its banks. Among the early ranching outfits that established their headquarters on or near Wolf Creek were the Cresswell (Bar CC), Seven K, and Box T. Lipscomb was founded near the stream in 1887. The Wolf Creek Dam and Lake, which were washed away by floodwaters in 1947, were replaced by Lake Fryer in eastern Ochiltree County.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WOLF CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbwbx), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.