STOUT CREEK. Stout Creek rises just south of Farm Road 852 and two miles southeast of Winnsboro in northeastern Wood County (at 32°55' N, 95°14' W). The stream is intermittent in its upper reaches; it runs southwest for 9½ miles to its mouth on Big Sandy Creek, eight miles east of Quitman (at 32°48' N, 95°18' W). It crosses gently rolling to flat terrain surfaced by clay and sandy loam that supports mixed hardwoods and pines. The creek and the nearby Stout community were named after early Texas pioneer Capt. Henry Stout, who arrived in the area around 1848 and by the 1850s was using Stout Creek to power one of the first mills in the county.
Adele W. Vickery and Ida Marie Turner, comps., Cemeteries of Wood County (3 vols., Mineola, Texas, 1970–71). Wood County, 1850–1900 (Quitman, Texas: Wood County Historical Society, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."STOUT CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsnl), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.