SANDY CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)
SANDY CREEK (Grimes County). Sandy Creek rises in southwest Grimes County (at 30°24' N, 96°01' W) three miles east of Navasota and runs southwest nine miles through open country to its mouth (at 30°19' N, 96°05' W) on Grassy Creek. Gently sloping to nearly level terrain is surfaced by clay loam which supports stands of post oak-elm and pecan-elm timber along the creek's lower course. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity began in 1826 when Georgia planter Daniel Arnold took up land on the middle creek extending west to the Navasota River and called the area Cross Roads. In 1852 a stage stop was established on the site, and the surrounding settlement became known as Navasota, now the largest town in Grimes County.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SANDY CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbs83), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.