MILL CREEK (WASHINGTON COUNTY)
MILL CREEK (Washington County). Mill Creek rises in two branches, the East Fork, also known as East Mill Creek, and the West Fork, in Washington County. The East Fork rises three miles northeast of Burton (at 30°13' N, 96°35' W) and flows southeast for thirty miles. The West Fork rises four miles southwest of Burton (at 30°09' N, 96°38' W) and flows southeast for twenty-seven miles. The two branches unite to form Mill Creek in central Austin County (at 29°56' N, 96°19' W). The main stream flows southeast for fourteen miles to its mouth on the Brazos River, on the Austin-Waller county line two miles north of Stephen F. Austin State Park (at 29°50' N, 96°07' W). The stream travels through level to moderately sloping terrain surfaced with clay that supports grasslands and post oak forest. Settlement in the vicinity of the East Fork began in the mid-1800s. The creek was originally named Palmetto (Palmito) Creek but received its current name either in the early 1820s when the Cumings family erected a mill on the main creek, or in 1845 when a mill was established on the upper East Fork. The community of Mill Creek is located on the east bank of the upper East Fork five miles west of Brenham.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MILL CREEK (WASHINGTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbmac), accessed April 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.