MARCADO CREEK. Marcado Creek rises next to the Victoria Regional Airport in central Victoria County (at 28°51' N, 96°56' W) and flows eastward for fifteen miles to its mouth on Garcitas Creek, near Farm Road 444 just west of the Jackson county line (at 28°50' N, 96°45' W). The stream, intermittent in its upper regions, flows through level to gently sloping land surfaced primarily with sandy and clay loams that support a variety of grasses and crops. It crosses the original land grant issued on January 25, 1833, to Martín De León, empresario and colonizer of Victoria County, and was the site of one of the retaliatory campaigns against the Comanches following their 1840 raid on Victoria and Linnville (see LINNVILLE RAID OF 1840). As part of a larger group led by Ben McCulloch, Victoria and Cuero men joined a force of 120 commanded by Capt. Adam Zumwalt and battled the Indians, who "skirmished cautiously and evinced a disposition to avoid battle," according to McCulloch's contemporary biographer, Victor M. Rose. The Comanches then "silently folded their tents in the night and stole away," in the words of John J. Linn, only to be crushed at the battle of Plum Creek near the site of present Lockhart.
Roy Grimes, ed., 300 Years in Victoria County (Victoria, Texas: Victoria Advocate, 1968; rpt., Austin: Nortex, 1985). John J. Linn, Reminiscences of Fifty Years in Texas (New York: Sadlier, 1883; 2d ed., Austin: Steck, 1935; rpt., Austin: State House, 1986). Victor Marion Rose, The Life and Services of Gen. Ben McCulloch (Philadelphia, 1888; rpt., Austin: Steck, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MARCADO CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbm11), accessed May 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.