LITTLE COW CREEK
LITTLE COW CREEK. Little Cow Creek rises 1½ miles east of Weeks Settlement and three miles east of the Jasper county line in northwestern Newton County (at 31°05' N, 93°50' W) and runs southeasterly for twenty-six miles to its mouth on the Sabine River (at 30°55' N, 93°33' W). It is intermittent in its upper reaches. William Seales had established a mill, used for ginning cotton, grinding corn, and sawing lumber, on Little Cow Creek by the 1840s. It operated until around 1915. From 1848 to 1853 the Newton county seat was John R. Burke's newly established town of Burkeville, located on the Little Cow. The creek cuts through areas of loamy and sandy soils that support rich growths of the loblolly, shortleaf, and longleaf pine trees common to Newton County.
Newton County Historical Commission, Glimpses of Newton County History (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LITTLE COW CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbl63), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.