KINGS CREEK (KAUFMAN COUNTY)
KINGS CREEK (Kaufman County). Kings Creek rises near Terrell in northern Kaufman County (at 32°49' N, 96°16' W) and runs south for thirty-two miles, passing through Terrell and within a half mile of Kaufman and Cartwright, to its mouth on Cedar Creek Reservoir, 2½ miles southwest of Kemp (at 32°23' N, 96°11' W) . The stream is named for William P. King, who led the first group of settlers into the area in 1840. It is intermittent in its upper reaches and flows through steep slopes and rolling hills surfaced by moderately deep to deep clayey and sandy soils that support mixed hardwood, pine forest, and local grasses. The King's Creek area is largely range and crop land.
Kaufman County Historical Commission, History of Kaufman County (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).