KATEMCY CREEK. Katemcy Creek rises 1½ miles northwest of Mason Mountain in northern Mason County (at 30°51' N, 99°13' W) and runs north for 12½ miles to its mouth on the San Saba River, a mile east of Camp San Saba in southern McCulloch County (at 31°00' N, 99°15' W). It rises on the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau and is intermittent in its upper reaches. The stream crosses flat to rolling terrain surfaced by varied soils, occasionally flowing through sandy beds. The surrounding vegetation includes scrub brush, grasses, and open stands of live oak, mesquite, and Ashe juniper. Settlers began to establish homes along the creek around 1874, and these settlements eventually developed into the town of Katemcy. Settlements along the Dry Prong, one of the creek's tributaries, later became the community of Camp Air. Katemcy Creek is named after Comanche chief Ketemoczy, who met with John O. Meusebach near the creek to sign a treaty in 1848 (see MEUSEBACH-COMANCHE TREATY). Devil Springs, on the creek, was once a Comanche camp, and many Indian artifacts have been found near the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."KATEMCY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbk02), accessed May 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.