JOHNSON FORK. Johnson Fork rises less than two miles north of Gobblers Knob in northwestern Kerr County (at 30°14' N, 99°41' W) and runs north-northwest for twenty-eight miles to its mouth on the Llano River, about four miles east of Junction (at 30°30' N, 99°41' W). Though its upper reaches are intermittent, Johnson Fork is generally free-flowing from West Spring to its mouth twenty miles downstream. Two dammed lakes are on Johnson Fork: Roach Lake, 17½ miles upstream, and Moody Lake, nineteen miles upstream. Johnson Fork was sometimes called Elm Creek during the second half of the nineteenth century. In the early 1860s Wiles Joy had a sixty-acre irrigated farm on Johnson Fork, sixteen miles upstream from its mouth. He was joined by more settlers after the Civil War, but Joy Colony lasted only one year. During this period Johnsongrass (Sorghum halepense) was introduced along the stream as a replacement for native grasses because it was considered a better feed for cattle.
Ovie Clark Fisher, It Occurred in Kimble (Houston: Anson Jones Press, 1937). Recorded Landmarks of Kimble County (Junction, Texas: Kimble County Historical Survey Committee, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."JOHNSON FORK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbj40), accessed April 21, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.