JOHNSON CREEK (KERR COUNTY)
JOHNSON CREEK (Kerr County). Johnson Creek rises seven miles west of Mountain Home in northwestern Kerr County (at 30°09' N, 99°30' W) and runs southeast for twenty-four miles to its mouth on the Guadalupe River, northwest of Ingram (at 30°04' N, 99°15' W). The stream, which is intermittent in its upper reaches, was first called Minter's Creek, after an early settler. After Col. Albert Sidney Johnston laid out a military road along its banks, it came to be called Johnston Creek. Later, when several families named Johnson settled in the area, it became known as Johnson Creek. From its source in eroded hills on the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau, the stream crosses an area characterized by steep slopes and benches that give a stairstep appearance to the landscape. The generally shallow, stony soils support grasses and open stands of live oak and Ashe juniper.
Bob Bennett, Kerr County, Texas, 1856–1956 (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956; bicentennial ed., rev. by Clara Watkins: Kerr County, Texas, 1856–1976, Kerrville, Texas: Hill Country Preservation Society, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."JOHNSON CREEK (KERR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbj34), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.