IRISH CREEK. Irish Creek rises five miles southwest of Yoakum in northern DeWitt County (at 29°13' N, 97°13' W) and runs south for twelve miles to its mouth on the Guadalupe River, eight miles southeast of Cuero (at 29°02' N, 97°12' W). The local terrain is flat to rolling and is surfaced by highly permeable soil that supports hardwoods and grasses. In 1826 Arthur Burns, an Irishman, settled his family on his headright league in what was reputed to be the first Anglo cabin ever built in the area that later became DeWitt County. The home was about two miles from the mouth of the creek and near its eastern bank. During heavy rains the stream was prone to flooding, and local legend has it that when the creek was on a rampage, early settlers would joke that Burns's creek had "its Irish up."
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."IRISH CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbi30), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.