GARRETTS CREEK. Garretts Creek rises four miles southwest of Shiro in central Grimes County (at 30°34' N, 95°55' W) and runs southeast ten miles through mostly open country to its mouth on Lake Creek, in extreme western Montgomery County (at 30°30' N, 95°49' W). It traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by loamy and clayey soils that support stands of loblolly pine, sweetgum, and shortleaf pine along the creek banks. On February 17, 1687, the French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, camped near the mouth of the stream while traveling north toward the Trinity River. Settlement on the prairie near the creek's headwaters began in the early 1830s. The stream is named for Claiborne Garrett, who patented a quarter league of land on the upper creek in 1832. About 1860 Dr. George Washington Brown and his brothers Jesse and Alexander established the community of Fairview on the north bank of the middle creek.
E. L. Blair, Early History of Grimes County (Austin, 1930). Robin Navarro Montgomery, The History of Montgomery County (Austin: Jenkins, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."GARRETTS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbg11), accessed March 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.