GARCITAS CREEK. Garcitas Creek rises a mile northwest of the Victoria county line in extreme southeastern DeWitt County (at 29°03' N, 97°05' W) and flows southeast for forty-eight miles to its mouth on Garcitas Cove, off Lavaca Bay (at 28°43' N, 96°40' W). It forms a major drainage system in Victoria County and constitutes the Victoria-Jackson county line in its last twelve miles. It runs through nearly level to gently sloping terrain surfaced primarily by deep, fine sandy loam and dark clays that support a rich range and cropland. Major tributaries include Arenosa, Marcado, Casa Blanca, and Willow creeks. The name Garcitas, supplied by Mexicans after the beginning of Martín De León's colony, is a changed form of the Spanish word garcetas, meaning "tenderlings," the first antlers of a deer, probably a reference to the shape of some of the creek's projections. Garcitas Creek is probably the stream on which René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, established Fort St. Louis in 1685. If the site of the fort was on this stream, it is what La Salle called the River of the Buffalo and the Spanish called the Río de los Franceses, or River of the French. The Aguayo expedition founded Nuestra Señora del Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga Mission (La Bahíaqv) and Nuestra Señora de Loreto Presidio on the creek in 1722, supposedly on the ruins of Fort St. Louis. The mission and presidio remained there until they were removed to the Guadalupe River in 1726. In the 1820s many of Martín De León's colonists settled on Garcitas Creek, which ran through the original land grants of the empresario and his son Fernando De León. In March 1836, during the Texas Revolution, the creek afforded a hiding place from the Mexican army for John J. Linn's merchant vessel; he was thus enabled to use the boat later to evacuate Harrisburg and take supplies to Sam Houston at the battle of San Jacinto. During the Civil War Company A, Thirteenth Texas Cavalry, one of three Victoria County companies serving in the Confederate Army, was mustered on Garcitas Creek, on April 13, 1862, by Dr. James P. B. Januaryqv, a veteran of the Texas Revolution and the Mexican War.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Craig H. Roell, "Garcitas Creek," accessed May 29, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbg09.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles