Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon


DAVIS CREEK (Limestone County). Davis Creek rises three miles northeast of Thornton in southern Limestone County (at 31°27' N, 96°33' W) and runs southeast for twelve miles to its mouth on Steele Creek, four miles southwest of Oletha (at 31°20' N, 96°29' W). The stream descends from an elevation of 519 feet above sea level to 360 feet. Its tributaries include Brier Creek, Sand Branch, Wolf Hollow, and Keel Creek. Davis Creek first traverses rolling prairie with clayey soils, then passes into an eroded area with sandy loams and hardwood forests. Near the mouth of the creek its bed is broad and shallow. Davis Creek probably derives its name from the family of Brinkley Davis, who traveled from Indiana in the latter half of 1845 and received a land grant at the source of the creek. After serving in the Mexican War, Brinkley's two oldest sons, Eli and John, established farms of their own near their father's. The settlement was known as Davis Prairie.


Hampton Steele, A History of Limestone County, 1833–1860 (Mexia, Texas: Mexia News, n.d.). Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).

Steven R. Davis


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Steven R. Davis, "DAVIS CREEK (LIMESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.