DRY CREEK (TERRELL COUNTY)
DRY CREEK (Terrell County). Dry Creek rises 3½ miles southwest of the Dry Creek Ranch headquarters in northwestern Terrell County (at 30°29' N, 102°13' W) and runs east for thirty miles to its mouth on Independence Creek, just east of State Highway 349 in the northeastern part of the county (at 30°27' N, 101°49' W). The path of the creek sharply dissects massive limestone underlying flat terrain, forming a deep and winding canyon. Wash deposits of sand, gravel, and mud cover the creekbed. Local soils are generally dark, calcareous stony clays and clay loams and support oaks, junipers, grasses, and mesquites. In 1860 Lt. William H. Echols and a camel expedition (see CAMELS) traveled along Dry Creek while mapping the area terrain and water sources and selecting a location for a fort near the trail used by Comanche war parties.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DRY CREEK (TERRELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbdbp), accessed May 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.