Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon


DUNCAN CREEK. Duncan Creek rises near Farm Road 1689 some five miles west of Comanche in west central Comanche County (at 31°54' N, 98°41' W) and runs northeast for fifteen miles to its mouth on Proctor Lake, near the Ivanhoe community (at 31°58' N, 98°32' W). The creek was named for settler John Duncan, who donated land for the town of Comanche in 1859. An early settlement of the same name was at a site three miles north of the county seat. The rural communities of Mount Pleasant and Fairview are near the creek. It crosses an area of mostly steep slopes with shallow, sandy soils that support oak and grasses.


Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"DUNCAN CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.