CAMPBELL BRANCH (LAVACA COUNTY)
CAMPBELL BRANCH (Lavaca County). Campbell Branch rises at the confluence of its east and west branches, on the northwestern outskirts of Hallettsville in north central Lavaca County (at 29°28' N, 96°57' W), and runs a mile to its mouth on the Lavaca River, just west of Hallettsville (at 29°27' N, 96°57' W). East Campbell Branch rises a mile west of U.S. Highway 77 and four miles north of Hallettsville in north central Lavaca County (at 29°31' N, 96°56' W) and flows south for 5½ miles to its confluence with West Campbell Branch, just northwest of Hallettsville. West Campbell Branch rises a mile east of Breslau (at 29°32' N, 96°58' W) and runs southeast for 5½ miles, roughly paralleling the route of State Highway 957. The streams are named for James Campbell, a pioneer colonist who arrived in the area before 1830. The loamy and loamy clay soils in the area support range, pasturage, and corn and grain sorghum.
Paul C. Boethel, On the Headwaters of the Lavaca and the Navidad (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CAMPBELL BRANCH (LAVACA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcrz), accessed May 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.