CYPRESS CREEK (BLANCO COUNTY)
CYPRESS CREEK (Blanco County). Cypress Creek rises in rugged Hill Country terrain about 3½ miles northwest of Buffalo Peak in northern Blanco County (at 30°25' N, 98°27' W) and runs east for 25½ miles to its mouth on the Pedernales River, slightly less than a mile north of Hammetts Crossing, where Ranch Road 962 crosses the Pedernales in far western Travis County (at 30°21' N, 98°08' W). In addition to cypress, the surrounding loamy clay soils also support Ashe juniper, live oak, mesquite, and grasses. In 1849 a group of Mormon homesteaders settled by the Cypress Mill Springs, a short distance upstream from the site of what became the Cypress Mill community. They used the springs, which rise in the bed of the creek, as a water supply, and built a mill just below the springs to cut cypress lumber. In 1854 William Evans filed the first official land claim on Cypress Creek, and three years later he established a mill on the creek just below the site abandoned by the Mormons. Despite this and subsequent exploitation of the cypress trees along this stretch of the creek, many of the trees still stood in the 1980s, when they were among the oldest and largest trees in Blanco County. One cypress growing at Cypress Mill has been measured as eighty feet high, with a thirty-foot circumference and a nine-foot diameter. It is reckoned to be some 2,500 years old.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CYPRESS CREEK (BLANCO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcnx), accessed April 19, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.