COLD SPRING CREEK
COLD SPRING CREEK. Cold Spring Creek, formerly known as Cold Creek, rises two miles west of U.S. Highway 87 in southeastern Mason County (at 30°34' N, 99°02' W) and runs east for 7½ miles to its mouth on Marschall Creek, just west of Loyal Valley in Llano County (at 30°35' N, 98°57' W). It got its name from the large springs which feed it. Rising in limestone hills on the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau, the creek crosses flat to rolling terrain, with some steeper, rocky areas midcourse, surfaced by shallow and stony to deep sandy and clay loams that support grasses and open stands of live oak, Ashe juniper, and mesquite. Early settlers came to the creek's banks around 1858.
Mason County Historical Book (Mason, Texas: Mason County Historical Commission, 1976). Mason County News, Centennial Edition, June 19, 1958.