CIENEGA CREEK (PRESIDIO COUNTY)
CIENEGA CREEK (Presidio County). Cienega Creek rises four miles northwest of U.S. Highway 67 in central Presidio County (at 30°02' N, 104°16' W) and runs south thirty-two miles to its mouth on Alamito Creek, just northwest of Ocotillo (at 29°40' N, 104°12' W). Surrounding the creek, steep slopes of sedimentary deposits, desert mountain terrain, canyon land of volcanic rocks, and wash pediments of gravels and sand support sparse grasses, cacti, and desert shrubs. The creek was named for the Cienega Mountains. Milton Faver, the first Anglo American to ranch on a grand scale in West Texas, established one of his three ranches on Cienega Creek in 1857.
Leavitt Corning, Jr., Baronial Forts of the Big Bend (Austin: Trinity University Press, 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CIENEGA CREEK (PRESIDIO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbceh), accessed April 21, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.