CHAPARROSA CREEK. Chaparrosa Creek rises in two branches near the Anacacho Mountains and the Kinney-Maverick county line in southeastern Kinney County (at 29°04' N, 100°10' W) and runs southeast for seventeen miles across the extreme northeastern corner of Maverick County to its mouth on Turkey Creek, near Johnson Lake in west central Zavala County (at 28°49' N, 100°00' W). The creek's West Prong rises in the southeastern corner of Kinney County (at 29°07' N, 100°15' W) and runs for eight miles to its confluence with the East Prong, which rises near the Anacacho Mountains (at 29°13' N, 100°09' W) and runs for fourteen miles. Members of the Bosque-Larios expedition, who were at the headwaters of the stream in 1675, reported that the Indians there called it Ona, which they said meant salty, but the Spaniards renamed the stream Rio de San Isidro Labrador. Father Damián Massanet, who encountered the stream nearer its mouth in 1691, wrote that the Indians called it Guanapacti. He also added another name, calling the stream Arroyo de San Lucas. The name Chaparrosa is derived from the Spanish word meaning scrub oak and refers to the thick growth which covers part of the area. The creek crosses flat terrain with local shallow depressions, surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support water-tolerant hardwoods, some conifers, and grasses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CHAPARROSA CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbccx), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.